Craving a sweet treat but want to make healthy choices? This sugar free bananas foster takes 5 minutes to make, is packed with protein and it fits on the Trim Healthy Mama or Weight Watchers plan!
The first time I ever had bananas fosters was at a restaurant where they would flambe the dessert right at your table. And I was hooked from that point forward.
But now that I live a mostly sugar free lifestyle, a big bowl of ice cream with sugary caramelized bananas didn’t sound like a great choice. Living life without such a yummy dish also sounded like sadness in a bowl so I revamped the traditional bananas foster to be low in calories, fat and without added sugar!
This sugar free bananas foster is sweet enough for dessert but healthy enough that you can eat it for breakfast. And that is just what I do!
(Affiliate Links are used in this post. A small commission may be paid to me at no extra cost to you and that helps to support this page. Please see my disclosures page for additional information.)
5 Minute Sugar Free Bananas Foster
Before we get into how to make this yummy bowl of caramelized bananas, you want to know if you can eat on your diet plan, right?
For my Trim Healthy Mama’s, this works for an E meal. The fat is 3.3 grams (less than the 5 max for an E meal) and the carbs are within the limit. In fact, it is a little low on the carbs side so you could even have this as a dessert with a paired down E meal (say 1/2 a sandwich on sprouted bread).
For the Weight Watchers crew, I used Watcher’s Point to calculate this recipe at 5 Smart Points. I haven’t done WW in a long time, so you may want to plug the recipe in to your calculator to ensure accuracy.
What Makes This Sugar Free Bananas Foster The Best
- Quick & Easy – Not having to bake or pull at 20 ingredients and 2 bowls is a win in my book. The cooking time is literally two minutes and the prep time should be less than three. 5 minutes until you are savoring a big bowl of sugar free bananas foster.
- Bananas Foster Taste without Guilt – This recipe gives you protein from the Greek yogurt, is free of added sugar and has a little healthy fat from the coconut oil. It tastes like a delicious dessert without derailing your goals.
- Dessert for Any Time of Day – Since this sugar free bananas foster is packed with good for you ingredients, you can eat this healthy treat any time of day!
Must Have Ingredients for Sugar Free Bananas Foster
Firmly Ripened Bananas – The ideal banana for this recipe will be bright yellow with no brown spots. The cooking process will soften the banana slices and if the bananas are overripe, they will be a bit too mushy.
Brown Sugar Substitute – The brown sugar sub keeps this recipe free of added sugar but it also creates that thick, caramelized sauce that you want. Here is my favorite brown sugar substitute.
Thick & Creamy Greek Yogurt – The Greek yogurt has two benefits in this recipe. 1. The thick and creamy consistency helps to make it taste rich and indulgent. 2. It adds protein to your bowl so you can even eat this as a breakfast or a snack.
Tips & Tricks To Make This Recipe Successful At Home
- Turn Up the Decadence – I love to eat this as a breakfast bowl when using Greek Yogurt but you can swap out the yogurt for a sugar free ice cream to elevate this to a really yummy dessert.
- Rum & Butter Extract – The extracts really help to give this dish similar flavors to the traditional recipe. But if you don’t have these, add a little vanilla extract instead. I’ve made it many times like that & it is still good.
More Sugar Free Desserts You Will Love
No Added Sugar – Easy Dippin Dots
No Sugar Added Blender Mango Sorbet
Leave a Reply