Puff pastry stuffed with Nutella and strawberry sauce for a new take on the traditional chocolate covered strawberry. A Nutella and strawberry puff pastry on your breakfast or dessert table will please everyone in sight!
Valentine’s Day Treat
The Nutella and strawberry puff pastry was inspired by Valentine’s Day that will be here before you know it (didn’t we just finish Christmas?!). My daughter helped me set out all of our pink and red heart shaped decorations this weekend and it put me in the V-Day mood. And made me want to bake something.
A sweet breakfast treat that would have some flavors often associated with Valentine’s day is what I came up with. And when I think of Valentine’s, I of course think of chocolate. But I also think of big, juicy strawberries drenched in delicious chocolate. And puff pastry is just amazing.
This Nutella and strawberry puff pastry is stuffed with a chocolate covered strawberry filling and also shaped into a cute little heart. Such a cute and easy Valentine’s Day breakfast or even dessert that tastes amazing.
(Affiliate Links are used in this post. A small commission may be paid to me at no extra cost to you and that helps to support this page. Please see my disclosures page for additional information.)
Nutella And Strawberry Puff Pastry
Do you know what I love? A fun, holiday inspired treat that doesn’t take ten years to make. All through out the year we make seasonal treats like Halloween Mummy Cakes and Turkey Egg in a Hole Breakfasts. Keeping with my simple holiday motto, before you know it you will have a sweet V-day treat on the table for your family to enjoy.
Unfold the puff pastry sheet. Using a rolling pin, gently roll out the first puff pastry sheet. Don’t roll it thin, just spread it out a bit. A couple of firm rolls of the pin horizontal and vertically is all that i did. Do the same for the second puff pastry sheet.
The puff pastry was folded in thirds, so you will see 3 vertical “columns.” The filling is going to go in the middle column. First spread the Nutella out, go light at the top and bottom so that it doesn’t spill out when you wrap it. I used 1/2 cup of nutella between the 2 puff pastry sheet.
If you hate measuring, don’t. Just spread some Nutella! That is the beauty of this Nutella and strawberry puff pastry. It is easy.
Then spread the strawberry topping. I used a tablespoon per pastry.
Create the Puff Pastry Braid
Now you need to cut the pastry so that the braid can be created. I use a pizza cutter. Start on one side and cut until you meet the filling. Skip over the filling and cut the same size on the other side. I try to do about an inch thick but I am not very meticulous and it works out fine.
Fold over first strip of pastry from the left and then the right starting at the bottom. Continue overlapping the strips until you get to the top. You may need to pinch the ends at the top and bottom a little to prevent the filling from spilling.
Place on a greased baking sheet. Gently take the two separate pastry braids and shape them into a heart shape if you want this to have even more of a Valentine theme.
Using a silicone brush, spread a beaten egg over the top of the pastry. This is optional but it gives a nice shine to the top.
Bake the Pastry
Bake at 400 degrees for about 10-15 minutes. Watch it close so that it doesn’t burn on the bottom. Mine was done in about 13 minutes.
Top with a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
I hope you enjoy this Nutella and strawberry puff pastry recipe for Valentine’s Day or anytime you are craving the combo of strawberries and chocolate!
|Cook Time||10-15 minutes|
- 2 TBSP Smucker's Strawberry Topping Separated
- 1/2 Cup Nutella Separated
- 1 Box Puff Pastry
- 1 Whole Egg Beaten
- Powdered Sugar (For Garnish)
- Thaw puff pastry on the counter for 30-45 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Gently unroll the first puff pastry and remove paper.
- Using a rolling pin, gently roll out the puff pastry slightly.
- Spread 1/2 of the Nutella down the center of the puff pastry.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the strawberry topping on top of the Nutella.
- Cut 1 inch segments of the puff pastry on the left using a pizza cutter, skip the middle (where the filling is), cut 1 inch segments on the right side. Repeat until the entire pastry is cut.
- Starting at the bottom, fold in the left side of the pastry over the middle. Next lay the right side over the left that you just folded. Continue to "braid" until you reach the top.
- Repeat with the remaining puff pastry and remaining Nutella and Strawberry topping.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. If you wish, shape the two puff pastries into the shape of a heart.
- Brush the top lightly with beaten egg.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.