This low carb Wasa cracker candy is just like the saltine toffee version of Christmas crack candy that you love – just minus the carbs and sugar!
Christmas Crack candy starts to circulate all over Pinterest around the holidays. It took me several years to try it but when I did, I understood immediately how it got it’s name. This stuff is addictive!
And just because I’m a Trim Healthy Mama now, I didn’t want to give up on this fun sweet treat. But the traditional recipe starts with saltine crackers and then they are topped with a quick homemade toffee and chocolate chips. Not on plan for THM or any low carb diet.
So we made just a couple of easy swaps and now we have on plan, sugar free low carb Wasa cracker candy. The buttery toffee is just as rich as the original and the crispy Wasa will keep you from missing those saltines.
(Affiliate Links are used in this post. A small commission may be paid to me at no extra cost to you and that helps to support this page. Please see my disclosures page for additional information.)
Low Carb Wasa Cracker Candy (THM S)
You know that I love an easy recipe, especially an easy dessert recipe that is on plan. And I have been making a bunch of THM desserts lately. I guess it is the holidays or always being at home these days but whatever it is yummy things keep making it to my counter.
I’ve made a pumpkin ice cream pie, a no bake peanut butter pie and no bake buckeye balls in the last few weeks (all on plan). So after those recipes, a Christmas candy was in order.
What Do You Need for THM S Wasa Cracker Candy?
To make this toffee cracker treat, you need just 5 ingredients.
- Swerve Brown Sugar
- Light Rye Wasa Crackers
- Sugar Free Chocolate Chips (Like Lily’s or Bake Believe)
Want to make this later? PIN IT to save!
How to Make the Sugar Free Toffee Cracker Candy
Making this low carb Wasa cracker candy is really easy! The hardest part is waiting for it to set up before digging in!
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Start by lining a 9×13 dish with parchment or wax paper. Next, line the bottom of the pan with Wasa crackers without overlapping.
In a medium saucepan, add the sticks of butter, Swerve and salt.
Heat over medium heat until the mixture starts to boil. Stir continuously for 5 minutes. The mixture will be kind of frothy and will start to thicken with every minute that you heat it.
Just make sure you keep stirring! You don’t want burned toffee!
Once the toffee mixture is done, pour it evenly over the Wasa crackers. Place the dish into the oven and cook for 5-7 minutes. You want to see some bubbling of the toffee around the edges.
Remove from the oven and sprinkle 1 cup of sugar free chocolate chips over the top. Allow the chips to sit for a couple of minutes so that they will start to melt. Then using a spoon or spatula, spread the chocolate over the top of the toffee Wasa crackers.
Sprinkle any optional toppings that you want immediately. I used chopped pecans but unsweetened coconut would be great too.
Need More THM/Low Carb Desserts?
23 Store Bought On Plan Desserts
Keto/THM S Pumpkin Spice Peanut Butter Cookies
Low Carb Pumpkin Cheesecake with Pecan Crust
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Passive Time||2 hours|
- 7 Wasa Light Rye Crackers
- 1 Cup Butter
- 1 Cup Swerve Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Sugar Free Chocolate Chips (Bake Believe or Lily's)
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Pecans (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Place 7 Wasa crackers into the pan without overlapping. You may use an extra cracker or two to fill in gaps if needed.
- Melt the butter, Swerve and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Heat until the mixture starts to boil.
- When it starts to boil, set a timer for 5 minutes and stir continuously. The mixture will bubble and look frothy. Keep stirring. It will start to thicken and become syrupy.
- Remove from heat and pour the mixture evenly over the top of the Wasa crackers. Use a spoon to spread if necessary.
- Place the pan in the oven and cook for 5-7 minutes. You want to see the edges bubbling some before removing. Watch it closely though, you want bubbles but not burned toffee.
- Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the wasa toffee.
- Allow the chocolate chips to sit for about 2 minutes so that they can start to melt. Use a spoon or spatula to spread the chocolate.
- If you are using any toppings like pecans or unsweetened coconut, sprinkle that on top of the chocolate now.
- Place the pan into the refrigerator for two hours so that it can set up.
- Remove and break or cut the Wasa cracker candy into pieces before serving.